Monday, July 25, 2011

Baby Boot Camp: Week Two

My students have repeatedly suggested that I create a blog. I feel compelled often to share my views on traveling, books, movies, and restaurants - my current passions. But most recently, a former student suggested I blog on my adventures in Babyville. For four weeks this summer, I am stepping outside of my comfort zone. I am adopting a Mary Poppinsesque persona - I am being a nanny for my two-month old grandson, Luke.

Of course, taking care of an infant for nine hours a day can in and of itself be mind numbing. However, in my quest to keep my sanity intact, reading and writing are in order. I have recently begun using a Kindle, and I have plenty of books in my queue. But, the idea of writing a little each day, or rather often, delights me. I'll practice what I preach to my students!! I'll leave a legacy for my grandson!! I'll keep from becoming an addict of some sort.

At the end of Week One of Baby Boot Camp, I called my mother and asked her how on earth she avoided becoming an alcoholic or a drug addict. I think that may have taken her aback, but she was a stay-at-home mom in the 50's, raising four children born within six years of one another. Did she read the back of Betty Crocker cake boxes? Did she have neighbors over for coffee and cake? Or did she sneak a G & T on the sly? I may never know the truth.

Observations about being a nanny at the end of Week One:

  • Doing laundry can be a fine diversion.
  • Pacing oneself between meals is a necessity.
  • The Today Show is fairly entertaining, especially when Cee Lo is on. 
  • The NCIS marathon is rather thrilling (since it was the first time I'd watched the show).
  • Baby Luke sleeps best when he's being cuddled, but one can hold a Kindle and a sleeping baby simultaneously. 
  • Babies have way cooler stuff now than when i raised my girls in the 80's: sleep sheep, my little lamb cradle and swing,  baby gym pads, etc. 

Why do I call it "Baby Boot Camp"? I don't have a car seat so I cannot escape the home front easily. I have stocked up on Weight Watcher appropriate foods so I can treat this time out of time as a spa complete with healthy food and exercise. I walk Luke in the morning after his mother and brother go out the door, and pushing a stroller for two + miles suffices for daily exercise - especially in this heat. Most of all, I'm learning to care for babies all over again - by trial and error. As I must right now - Luke is perfecting his ear-splitting howl.

No comments:

Post a Comment